Code42 is making updates to our global backup policies, designed to improve agent performance and decrease bandwidth consumption on the endpoint. Code42 customers who use our backup capabilities consistently ask for decreased use of network bandwidth and faster restore speeds. These changes listed below will meet both goals. No action is required by customers.
Summary of changes
- Deleted file retention period set to 90 days where the current value is more than 90 days. If a user deletes a file, Code42 will keep it for 90 days beyond the deletion request. After 90 days the file will be permanently deleted (current archives in a legal hold backup set will not be affected by this change).
- Updated backup frequency set to 30 minutes (if the current value is currently set to less than 30 minutes)
- File version retention settings updated to:
- Keep 1 version per day after 7 days (if the current value is more frequent)
- Keep 1 version per week after 90 days (if the current value is more frequent)
- Keep 1 version per month after 1 year (if the current value is more frequent)
- Current archives in a legal hold backup set will not be affected by this change
- New backup exclusions will be applied globally, and cannot be overridden. Examples of files that will be excluded from archives:
- Browser caches and temporary files (browser profiles are not impacted)
- Temporary system files and system logs
- Application data files
- Default locations of .pst files
These changes reflect standard best practice and have been recommended by Code42 Professional Services for several years. Many customers already have these settings applied in their environment. We are now ensuring they are more uniformly applied across our Cloud.
These changes will go into effect on or after April 15, 2023. There is no action required by customers or administrators. For more information and a list of specific file types and directories being excluded, see our backup policy changes support article. If you have any additional questions, contact the Code42 support team.